Tuesday, January 18, 2011

62 days til Spring!!

Oh, the dreary days of January.  When did we see that sun last?  I've been popping my "sun in a bottle" (Vitamin D3), as I call it.  My kids laugh, but even Andrew mentioned Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) this morning when we were joking about my 13 vitamins and herbs that I take every day. Oh, I don't think I'm extreme or anything, just like all of you out there, ready for a little sunshine and warmer weather!  But the seed catalogs have started to trickle in and do you believe there are bathing suits in Walmart already?

So, I travelled to Berlin, Ohio this last weekend with a friend to watch Natalie along with the rest of the girls' basketball team compete in the Classic in the Country.  It is a 3 day event where the top girls basketball teams in Ohio are invited to play against other top teams!  The JV and Varsity girls' teams both won.  We stayed over night in this Amish community.  There are downtown shops, horse and buggies, and wonderful Amish restaurants everywhere.  It is a 3 1/2 hour drive there and a 3 1/2 hour drive back...the downfall!!  But, I had the luxury of getting away for a day while Dan held down the fort along with the twins and the dog. The best part, (other than watching the girls play), was when we went into a local grocery store.  Wow, so much fun!  We bought the best ever cheese and cold cuts for less than half of what you can around here, and a big bag of whole frozen blackberries that was promptly made into Cobbler Sunday night already! Do you believe $1.79 for a whole pound of blackberries?  We also bought homemade, hand ground spices, dip mixes and even Whole Wheat Flour for .35 cents a pound!!  Too bad it's that far away...I could get used to that!

But, between being gone for that and then a day doing some returning/exchanging last week in Lima, and a day with the flu, I'm playing catch up here.  I've been doing laundry now for two days straight and at this very moment, I'm entirely caught up.  There is nothing in any basket right now. Even the ironing in done! That'll last until exactly 5:15 when Natalie dumps her clothes from school, clothes from practice and dirty towel down.

Heading out to the garage next.  I have a plant to transplant.  Not the best scenario in the middle of winter, but just something that can't wait until warmer weather.  I also have an outdoor plant that comes in during the winter that has a bunch of roots that are showing.  Dan is not going to be happy.  No matter how careful I am, there will be dirt in the garage, and combine that with the slushy mess already out there means I better be cleaning up well! 

Three of us had the flu last week.  Yuck! Good news was that it truly was 24 hours and your back up, and you know, I can't complain that a couple of pounds came off too! Bad news, more laundry.  I feel I have to to wash everything that might have been "contaminated", so that means sheets, blankets, the throws in the family room...you get the picture!  Started with me, then Jonathan and now it's been two days since Andrew had it....are we safe?

Well, time for garden gloves and playing in a little dirt!  Nothing like a little gardening in January to get me in the mood for Spring!

No comments: