Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fireplace Fix-up

I think we all get into ruts...we cook the same meals, we buy the same foods, we decorate our house and then think it's good for the next 5 or 10 (or even 15 years...gasp!) And then we look around at the same surroundings day in and day out and wonder why we are bored with everything. Of course, most of us don't have the money, time or energy to remodel our kitchen or master bedroom every other year, but you can constantly be re"fresh"ing things!  You would be surprised how many little things can be done either very inexpensively or free just by changing up those accessories and small pieces of furniture from room to room. 
I have had these two dark brown iron lanterns in my formal living room since we moved here.  I love their shapes and sizing.  So, the other day, when I decided that our fireplace hearth needed a redo, they got moved approx. 30 feet.  I took down the fireplace tools (that are also in their third home) down to the basement and decided that the arrangement was going too! 
We needed a whole new look!

                               So this is the hearth before....

After: This is the new look with all old things from different places.  The big lantern now has a candle in it and at night casts wonderful shadows throughout the room because of the cutouts.  I love it more than ever! I've even been lighting it during the week, when we aren't even expecting company!! It is like getting something totally new.  And, it's a great way to use up old half-burnt candles. The amber jar never really had a home...it had a lid that I kept on it and when I took the lid off, I had a new opportunity! These peachy and green grasses look they were made for that vase. What is hard to see in the picture is the great amber, "see through kind of color" in the vase.  So pretty!


 If you buy pieces you truly love, whether they are a $1 or $200, you will find a home for them! My style is definitely traditional and it is important to keep in the custom of the architecture of your home when purchasing big-ticket items.
So, walk around, look through drawers and closets... pull out that old lamp that has seen better days...get some spray paint and make a change!!

No comments: